Saturday, August 27, 2011

New Percussion Instrument

Old music stand that will be the legs.
Decided to build a one of a kind percussion instrument after seeing several videos of this guys home made percussion thing and then watching a live performance video of Einstürzende Neubauten last night. Went to Home Depot and got a 2x6x10 cedar plank, assorted springs and hardware to make this thing. Also ordered two contact mics to get the woods vibration into the mixing board. I have built many home made instruments over the years- my most famous creation being the Slambar, which was featured on almost all the Kill Switch...Klick back catalog. The reason for building this instrument is to get an acoustic percussion sound for my next album. I want more Tom Wait's "Bone Machine" and less electronica inspired sounds. This will make me think outside the box. We used lots of found percussion instruments, pieces of wood and metal on The Flathand 5 album. That was a lot of fun to record. Up to five drummers and percussionists all playing at the same time, laying down the basic tracks and then I built the tracks up from there. My new album will be a little less bombastic, but I don't want to rely on drum loops and stagnant drum machine sounds for this one.

Cutting up the old music stand.
Deck screws, wood, springs and hardware.

See Deck Mate...coool.

No comments: