Thursday, June 25, 2009

My Encounter With The Ghost Of Kurt Cobain (True Story)

My band Kill Switch...Klick was playing a show at the OK Hotel (Seattle) shortly after the news of Kurt Cobain's suicide (middle of April). Not being big Nivana fans we had a twisted cover of Come As You Are in our set, in which I had sampled Killing Joke's Eighties (for those of you that don't remember Killing Joke had sued Nirvana, because the opening bass line for Come As You Are is very similar to the main guitar line in Eighties). So people laughed at the song and all was good fun. That night, halfway through Come As You Eighties the lights flickered and our side fill P.A. system went KAPOW! The show stopped and I told the audience to hang tight (the mic still worked) as I dug around the back of the system. A blown fuse was the culprit and after about 15 minutes we were up again. Same song, last verse...KAPOW! Another fuse had blown. I looked blankly at the band, who was looking blankly back at me. Now that never ever happened with our sound system. It was a Carvin, built like a tank. I joked to the audience "Maybe Kurt doesn't want us butchering his song." They laughed and right then I got a strange chill. I felt like someone was behind me (besides my drummer Mike). I changed the fuse and we skipped Come As You Eighties and finished the set without further incident. The whole night got me to thinking about Kurt Cobain and his musical legacy. I decided to pull the song from the set and guess what? We never blew a P.A. Amp fuse (on our system) again. No lie.

No comments: