Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Distant Lightning



Woke up last night to a huge light show in the sky. Distant lightning, possibly over the ocean or on the coast. I woke up to go to the bathroom, when I laid back down I noticed light flashes on the ceiling through my eyelids. At first I thought it was cars pulling into our apartment parking lot, but the flashes were continuous and then I heard the distant rumbling of thunder. I got up and went out on the balcony. The sky was charged with a serious thunderstorm! Big big flashes, that lit up all the clouds across the sky. I stood there or a few minutes and then a giant bolt zig zagged down (or down and up- whatever lightning does). It looked 1/8 across my field of vision, splitting the lower sky in half! I have seen many lightning flashes, but never a solid bolt so close like that. I ran inside  and grabbed my video camera. I filmed for a few minutes getting some nice flashes, some that ignited the entire sky (through cloud reflections) but no more bolts. Nature is amazing. 

No comments: